Monday, June 13, 2011

The Ham


I do not have a macro lens. I once aspired to shoot petal textures and  have oh-so-artsy renderings of them all zoomy and close up, but I gave it up. Plenty of people out there can zoom in on a flower or a ball of yarn and achieve greatness, provided they have a swanky macro lens. No, I discovered that I'd rather shoot other things. Until I met this fellow, and wished a thousand times over I'd had a macro lens.

This dragonfly was quite possibly the most accommodating bug I have ever encountered. He perched right there on his little thorny twig and let me shoot him from all angles. He even tilted his head a few times, adjusted his wings, gave me a wink and a smile. Of course, in my exuberance (and fear that the closer I got, the more inclined he would be to fly away), I completely disregarded the optimal focal length for the lens I was using and went in for the kill... or rather, the close-up shot. Naturally, my focus was never ideal... either the head or the body would be slightly out of focus while the wings were crystal clear. That'll learn me.




The first dragonfly I ever shot was in my Nan and Pop's yard. It was quite possibly the size of my pre-pubescent hand. I, at the time, was sporting an $8 camera... was it an 18mm or 35mm camera? I can't recall. It was about the size of a Hershey's chocolate bar, only a little thicker. It took horrendous pictures. Or rather, I took horrendous pictures. (Can't blame the tool; blame he who wields it.) I am certain that dragonfly picture is in one of those albums with the gummy pages, wedged in next to the sticker albums I kept. Actually, what would be neat to have is that old Hershey bar camera so I can take some retro looking photographs. Isn't it funny how they're coming back in style? People clamoring after old cameras, or using Photoshop to add some 70s vignettes. But I digress. 



I thought I'd share some of the images anyhow. I am not certain if they will make it to the webstore; you certainly won't find them on the cover of National Geographic or anything. You'll have to let me know if you're interested in a copy, or at the very least, if it's not too embarrassing to try and sell them. Still, I rather enjoy how you can see the detail in his little legs clinging to the twig, and the beauty of his wings. And, doesn't it look like he's smiling?


No comments:

Post a Comment

keep it honest! but... keep it clean & keep it polite.